Katoomba to Mittagong Part 2 - 5th - 9th April 2008
John Clancy and I pulled the plug at Yerranderie the last time we tried to walk from Katoomba to Mittagong. So this time we enlisted extra help in the form of the ultra tough Julian Ledger and tried to do it again but this time starting from Kanangra Walls. Like last time we didn't make it the whole way; this time we bailed out at Hilltop because we were buggered / sick of it. So a Part 3 is yet to be written. Our track was:
* Day 1: Kanangra Walls, Cottage Rock, Cambage Spire to the cnr of Kowmung and Christy's creek.
* Day 2: Along Kowmung to Church Creek, search in vain for Church creek caves, climb Mount Armour and then walk into Yerranderie along fire trail.
* Day 3: Yerranderie, Twin Peaks, Jooriland, Belloon Pass to Colley's Flat
* Day 4: Colley's Flat to the bottom of Starlights Trail along the Nattai.
* Day 5: Starlights trail to Hilltop
I was had walked and mountain biked most of the way from Long Nose Point to the Belloon Pass turn off and I was amazed by how much the country has detiorated since the Dec 2001 bushfires in the Nattai valley. It took us a hard 9 hours to walk from Colley's flat to the bottom of Starlight's trail (whereas I was expecting to gambol gently through grassy meadows the whole way).